Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:29:31 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why routed and not gated by default?

As Bill Fenner wrote:

> >I know that Bill Fenner will heavily object now
>
> Hm, I'm not sure that's the kind of name I want to have made for myself
> in the FreeBSD community =)

:-)

> I still believe that router discovery should be enabled by default
> on ethernet-connected end-systems that aren't acting as routers
> themselves.

And my point is that the operator should be required to actively hit a
button before this is turned on.  The operator could be automatically
guided to this question however, e.g. in Novice installation mode.

There are a lot of ethernets on this planet where even running router
discovery is at best a waste of virtual memory (since there's simply
nothing to discover).

--
cheers, J"org