Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:58:22 GMT
From:      jbg@masterplan.org (Jason George)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loading Intel EtherExpress card

>"Paul Foss" <paulr@wans.net> writes:
>> device ix0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000
>
>The EtherExpress ISA driver is called "ex", not "ix". I'd appreciate
>if you let me know where you saw it referenced as "ix" so I can fix
>the reference.
>
>DES

Paul is referring to the _original_ Intel EtherExpress card.  The 8/16,
_NOT_ the Pro series.  The "ix" driver

I used this card successfully under 2.1.0 with the "ie" driver (before
it was renamed "ix").

>From sys/i386/isa/if_ie.c:

 *      $Id: if_ie.c,v 1.36.2.4 1998/07/07 05:23:06 gibbs Exp $
 */

/*
 * Intel 82586 Ethernet chip
 * Register, bit, and structure definitions.
 *
 * Written by GAW with reference to the Clarkson Packet Driver code for
this
 * chip written by Russ Nelson and others.
 *
 * Intel EtherExpress 16 support from if_ix.c, written by Rodney W.
Grimes.
 */

/*
 * The i82586 is a very versatile chip, found in many implementations.
 * Programming this chip is mostly the same, but certain details differ
 * from card to card.  This driver is written so that different cards
 * can be automatically detected at run-time.
 */

I hope this clears things up.

--Jason
j.b.george<at>ieee.org