Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:53:36 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FBSD4.4 can not find seral port com1/sio0

I have an old 1992 external US Robotics sportster 14.4 modem connected to
the com1 serial port on the PC. Com2 is on the motherboard but not used. The
PC bio's are set to auto config. WIN98 can access modem. I can not get FBSD
4.4 to configure the modem. I have included the kernel source and boot log
messages for your review. I have already been down that road about winmodems
and external modems having controllers built in. That's why I am using this
modem for dial out testing

Why does the probe say com1 & com2 disabled when com1 is really enabled?
What is my next move to correct this problem?

Kernel source

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device		sio2	at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5
device		sio3	at isa? port IO_COM4 irq 9
#device		sio2	at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
#device		sio3	at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

BOOT Log  verbose
FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #6: Fri Nov  9 19:46:17 GMT 2001

config> di sio1
config> di sio0

sio0: not probed (disabled)
sio1: not probed (disabled)
sio2: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio2: irq maps: 0x41 0x41 0x41 0x41
sio2: probe failed test(s): 0 1 2 4 6 7 9
sio2 failed to probe at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 3 on isa0
sio3: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio3: irq maps: 0x41 0x41 0x41 0x41
sio3: probe failed test(s): 0 1 2 4 6 7 9
sio3 failed to probe at port 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 4 on isa0
sio4: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio4: irq maps: 0x41 0x41 0x41 0x41
sio4: probe failed test(s): 1 4 6 7 9
Device configuration finished.