Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:21:00 -0500
From:      "Yuichiro Abe" <y_abe@sprynet.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   About PPPoE

To FreeBSD.org

I could get it just because of your help. Thank you very much. I really
appreciate you.

But I got another problrem. Let me ask you about it.

I put the command "ppp -ddial provider". and then, I excuted netscape. But I
got the error message which was below:

---
Warning: the following hosts are unknown:
            home.netscape.com
            home6.netscape.com
            internic.net

This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.

Perhaps there is a problem with your name server? If your site must use a
non-root name server, you will need to set the $SOCKS_NS environment
variable to pointat the appropriate name server. It may (or my not) be
necessary to set this variable or the SOCKS host preference, to the IP
address of the host in question rather than its name.
---

So I got the long message.
Now, the question is that how or where can I change the $SOCKS_NS
environment variable?

I really shame on myself asking you about a kind of stupid thing. But I must
need your help. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Yuichiro Abe
<y_abe@sprynet.com>