Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 2009 09:58:10 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jaymax <jaymax36@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Inconsistency in root partition size

On Sunday 06 September 2009 04:34:20 jaymax wrote:
> I apparently have open file handles in my / partitions.
> It was partitioned at 512 Mb size, used about 150Mb
> df shows
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    496M    492M    -36M   108%    /

> adjkerntz   147   root    0u    VBAD
> (revoked) adjkerntz   147   root    1u    VBAD

> Can't really identify lines I can say does not belong so I don't have any
> rational basis to kill any process. All seems legit!
>
> Rebooting does not correct the descrepancy

For one, you could've used fstat -f / to reduce the noise. Secondly, since
rebooting does not help, open files are not the cause. Rather the VBAD up
there. Do an fsck -y. Chances are your file system got filled, a hardware
write error occurred and the kernel could therefore not return the space to
the disk.
If you still have logs, I would grep for WRITE_DMA in /var/log/messages.
--
Mel