Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 09:17:02 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, Douglas Thomas Crosher <dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au>, sos@FreeBSD.org, dima@best.net (Dima Ruban), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems in -current (was Re: awk broken ???)

John Polstra wrote:
> > 2) John Polstra's change which affected all shlibs.
> > jdp         96/01/16 16:03:10
> >
> >   Modified:    share/mk  bsd.lib.mk
> >   Log:
> >   Always link /usr/lib/c++rt0.o into a shared library.  CPLUSPLUSLIB is no
> >   longer necessary, and can be removed from Makefiles.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I suspect the latter, but have no way of checking it
> > right now.
>
> I have to admit that I thought of the same thing when these reports
> started showing up in -current.  But it is really hard to see how
> the change I made could account for these symptoms.  My change
> causes a small piece of code (which does nothing) to be executed
> when a shared library (such as libc) is first mapped into memory.
> It seems like, if there was something wrong with these changes,
> the symptom would appear immediately when you executed anything -- not
> at some later time, and not with an "internal error" message.

Well - it _does happen like that. I had all the groff utils complain
bitterly _at_startup_ about some malloc problem (sorry I can't remember
offhand what it is). refer(1) then bombed out with a signal 6.

> I'm not saying it's impossible (been around too long for that).  But it
> seems very unlikely to me.

It started for me right after this change :-).

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key