Date:      Mon, 07 May 2001 11:49:27 -0400
From:      "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xircom modem in mini-pci combo card for thinkpad A21p ?

Scott supplied,

> xe only knows about Xircom's older PCMCIA Ethernet cards (and only the
> Ethernet part of the combo cards).

Yikes! I'd read all that as modem support :)

> Are you sure the modem part of the card is a real modem (as opposed to a
> WinModem)?  If it was, I would have expected it to show up as a serial port
> and Just Work.

We've presumed that it is a software modem.  Hmm, checking dmesg, I have

sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 8250
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

Does that mean that it found it?  Is there anything to test it with at
the moment--I've noticed that minicom is currently forbidden for
security reasons . . .

thanks

hawk