Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:41:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gdb sucks - and I need to get around it.  help?

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> Anybody know of any way of getting gdb to step from the start of the
> program?
>
> I have an executable with absolutely no symbol data (symbol data is
> absolutely non-available) which I *have* to get to step through, if
> necessary by re-implementing gdb.

You can tell the absolute address of main(), right?  Can't you just set
a breakpoint of the program to the address of main() directly (not
symbolically) then start the program.  It should stop immediately, then
you can single step until you fall asleep, right?

That's all if this is a C program.  If it's C++, where there is stuff
active even before main(), then I'm not sure the address you'd want, but
it'd NOT be main().  I think I'd get it via objdump.  It could read the
elf headers and get it.

> Eivind.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).