Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 00:25:12 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br
Cc:        steve@emmert.com, wghicks@bellsouth.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@br.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WindowMaker

From: Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 00:25:24 -0200

> Is there any one smart enough here that got WindowMaker working without
> using the ports ?

*OWW*  That hurt!  Why'd ya thump me on the head?  :-)

Of course.  I used to do this for every new patch from Alfredo
I have *always* used a locally modified port to start from.

This port has been very well maintained for some time,
although it has suffered a bit in the commit queue.
The ports committers are very busy people you know...

It's pretty bad form, IMHO, to install a lot of unported
software on a FreeBSD system.  It's really not that difficult
to implement a new port and it helps you be able to rapidly
reconstruct your system if necessary.

I'd even go so far as to recommend using the ports facility for
locally written (and private) applications.

> i am trying to buil it, but without success !!!!
> when i configure (./configure) my windowmaker it returns me that i don't
> have libPropList installed (that's not true, i just installed it)!
> How to get it running ?

I'd be very surprised if our ever diligent WindowMaker port
maintainer, Brian Handy, didn't already have this worked out
too.

I see Steve's suggestion seems to have been effective for
someone else.

I'll wait for the port though.  It won't be long.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net