Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:47:58 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Devil Mascot

On 06/13/04 05:02 PM, Edward Hendrie sat at the `puter and typed:
>     Why do you have a Devil for a trademark mascot?  From a
>     marketing perspective, you are shooting yourselves in the foot.
>     There are many people of various religious backgrounds who will
>     be dissuaded from trying FreeBSD because they have religious
>     objections to a product that is promoted by a devil.

As has been stated on this list EVERY DARN TIME this subject is
brought up, it's not a Devil, it's a daemon, and there IS a
difference.  Let the religious fanatics figure it out for themselves.
If they're too blinded by zeal to READ about it, that's their problem.
Yes, there is a link on the site, but I've not had my coffee yet, so
someone else will probably post it, or you can try LOOKING for it
yourself.

>     You may think that is a small issue, but when you are trying to
>     create market awareness you need a mascot that evokes simplicity
>     and goodwill, not one that evokes evil and deception.

No, you're thinking of a butterfly.  If you look up the origins of the
daemon, you'll find that it is exactly the right mascot for FreeBSD.
It precedes the judeo-christion concept of the devil.

>     Look at how MSN is marketing its ISP.  They use characters
>     dressed in harmless butterfly costumes.  Linux, has done the
>     same with its pudgy cute penguin.  You might want to rethink
>     your mascot.

No, I think that butterfly is the stupidest mascot I've ever seen.  I
also think the daemon is one of the coolest.  And judging from past
and angry at any concerted effort to remove it.

And using a butterfly doesn't mean anything more than M$ spends too
much money on marketing and not enough money FIXING their software.

If this thread is to be productive, someone will think of a real
mascot that was even dumber than that guy in a butterfly suit.
Now that's a challenge.

Sorry if the tone here is a little cranky.  As I said, I haven't had
my coffee yet . . .

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity.  Another man's, I mean.
    -- Mark Twain