Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:43:54 +0100
From:      universe <universe@truemetal.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   traffic metering at centralized location

we'd like to measure the internet-traffic that our co-location and
dedicated server customers are producing, and therefore put a
metering-box at a centralized location in our network which is going
to measure the traffic coming from our switch' monitoring-port (which
reflects all data that is being sent to the internet).

for this purpose we've been thinking about using a software like
ipmeter (http://www.ipmeter.com), however, it turns out that ipmeter
isn't reliable enough for our needs, and doesn't provide all necessary
functions - like: a customer must be able to log in to a web interface
in order to find out how much traffic his servers have used up for a
certain period of time.

right now, for the metering purposes, we are directly polling our
switch by using PACT (http://pact.insider.org) via SNMP.
unfortunately, any and all traffic is counted here, even the traffic
that is not destined for the internet but rather for the local
backup-server etc.  we cannot bill this traffic to the customers, so
this method is no longer
acceptable.

another method would be to put a 2nd network card in every dedicated
server / box that is being co-located and build up a small network for
internal traffic only. however, that would result in many
complications (eg. we only use 1U-servers, so what to do if a customer
needs a raid-card in his machine - there's no place for a 2nd pci
card)...

i've approached several attempts at measuring the traffic in my home
network by using freebsd as a bridge, but without avail. i cannot
think of another way to put the network interface in promiscuous mode
except by setting up a bridge.
however, that attempt didn't work out, no traffic was being counted
(using ipfw and rules like "ipfw add count ip from 192.168.0.2 to
any"), where 192.168.0.2 is just a workstation on the same lan/hub.

therefore: how to get a freebsd box (not being used as a router) to
measure traffic that isn't destined for local ip addresses?

or, does anyone have another idea how to measure the traffic that's
destined for the internet?

thanks a bunch for any hints or pointers!
markus