Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:06:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        dragonknight@dtgnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning more about FreeBSD and Networking

>From: "Dragon Knight" <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
>Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:48:57 -0700

>I was wondering, with this setup, where would my efforts best be directed.
>What additional books, hardware, etc. should I acquire?  (did I make a good
>choice in the books I did order).  What do I need to know to jump into a
>field of unix system administration right out of high school (though I do
>plan to go to college).  Also please don't say..  buy a Cisco router or
>someshit as I am pretty poor, these books were basically Christmas.

If you can even just borrow them from a library, the "TCP Illustrated"
series by Stevens is excellent.  (I attended one of his tutorials at the
1990 USENIX, decided he knew what he was talking about, and started
buying his books.  I've not been sorry.)

"Building Internet Firewalls" (Chapman & Zwicky) is also excellent, and
I've heard that a 2nd edition is in the works.

Nice thing about the Stevens approach is that he goes into significant
detail about what's going on and why; he also shows the results of using
tcpdump in the context of a given problem/topic to be illustrated.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621