Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:18:34 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "dayo" <dogunso@igi-insurers.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: unable to add users

Check fhe contents of /etc/master.passwd.  It should be exactly the same as
/etc/passwd except that there are passwords in the second field instead of
asterisks.

Also, check to make sure that root line looks like this:

root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/sh

If there are not zeros in the 3rd or 4th field, than someone has been
mucking with your system, and you've probably been hacked.

--
Matt Emmerton