Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:34:40 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/13078: 3.2-release /etc/manpath.config misconfigured

Alex wrote:

> In which case the stock motd should say something about -stable.

	I agree that the motd is not altogether clear on this point, however you
may note that the motd does not say, "If you think you've found a bug
please file a PR." It says to send the appropriate information to the
-questions list, where someone would have done basically what I did, namely
point out that it's fixed and tell you about -stable.

	As it happens your mentioning the problem again actually got it fixed in
-stable, and I jumped the gun on saying that it was fixed already, so it's
all good in the end.

> Instead, it merely points one at http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/releases ---
> where I looked (in the apparently naiive expectation that the
> errata page would actually contain the known errata)

	It contains the most serious problems. FreeBSD is in a constant state of
development, so listing every little item that is fixed in that file would
essentially turn it into a duplicate of the CVS logs.

> I am new to FreeBSD, and I doubt it would be any more obvious to
> the average new user than it is to me that "stable" is more
> current (and if I unsderstand you correctly, more stable) than
> "release".

	I agree, which is why I didn't call you any names or suggest that your
filing the PR was not a good thing to do. I merely pointed out that there
is another path to follow that you might not have been aware of. FreeBSD,
like unix itself can be difficult to find a "starting place" in. Everywhere
you look there is some bit of information that depends on you knowing some
other bit of information. While there are those of us who labor to make
that problem less daunting, we have not yet eliminated it entirely. "First
impressions" like yours are extremely valuable for those of us who can no
longer look at the thing from a perspective of a new user, so thank you for
sharing yours.

Doug