Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:56:57 -0600 (GMT-0600)
From:      Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt>
To:        James Lever <james@karanthia.humbug.org.au>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with dialup access

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, James Lever wrote:

> >> I am having problems setting my FreeBSD system to allow dialup access.
> >> The only way that I can get an intelligible login prompt is to force the
> >> FreeBSD system and the remote PC to use 19.2 kbaud.  If I try something
> >> like VH57600 in the ttys file (for the appropriate modem port, ttyd1),
> >> I  get garbage characters at the login.  No amount of <enter> or <break>
> >> characters entered from the PC will fix this.

Sorry for replying this message FIVE days after receiving it. I hope my
reply may be useful yet.

I had the same problem. I have USR Sportster 28.8 modems, and was going
crazy about not being able to set faster rates.

The way you can fix a faster rate is to give the "fixed rate" command to
the modem, using the speed you want to fix.  You can give commands to the
modem in the first serial port, using cu, as follows:

	cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 57600

cu should display a "Connected" message, and then you should enter:

	ATZ
	(modem should reply OK)
	AT&B1&W0
	(modem should reply OK again)

then, you must end the cu session, by typing ~.  (tilde plus dot) and
pressing enter. Note that in the second command, the last character is a
zero, not an "o".

In the USR modems, this fixes speed at 57600bps. You may try faster rates
if your modem allow that.

Hope this helps.

|      Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez          |
|  Unidad de Internet/Red Cientifico-Educativa  |
| Depto. de Procesamiento Electronico de Datos  |
| Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala -USAC- |
|e-mail: victor@usac.edu.gt,                    |
|Telefono oficina: (502)4769723 (fax/voz)       |
|                  (502)4767719 (voz)           |
|Telefono casa   : (502)4782916 (502)2891037    |