Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 02:24:56 +0100
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tar just doesn't want to be KILLed

Hi *,

am I right in assuming that...

1. there's no way to get rid of an instance of tar (that's probably
   waiting for some IO to complete?
2. there's no way to umount a mount point held by such a process?

[If so, I would be interested to hear about the design considerations
that led to this! I guess that tar never returns from a syscall and can't
react to the signal? Hasn't anybody tried to implement a workaround for
this in all those years?]

Thanks!
walter

--
 The more aggressively you search for the most profound experience
 of your life, the more rigid, narrowing, dispiriting and routine