Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:52:53 -0600
From:      "Stephen Hurd" <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
To:        "Philippe Bourcier" <rip@cyberabuse.org>, <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: sysctl

> Hi,
>
> I am willing to make a documentation about all sysctl values (one by one,
> their options and their use) so people can understand and tune better their
> system.
>
> Is that something already being done?
> Does that sound interesting (to me it sounds like it is, but then it's my
> idea...)?

I would be VERY interested to read it... I sure wouldn't be interested in
writing it.  :-)  It's the kind of thing I thing to myself "That would be
really nice" about every month or so.

My $0.02 is that it would be wonderful if each variable had a brief blurb
about the intended use for the variable also, in addition to what it does.
The difference is rather subtle, but important.  For example the
"net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface" causes no messages to be logged when
an arp response arrives on the wrong interface.  Mentioning that this is
commonly used when both interfaces are physically conected to the same LAN
would be quite a bit of help... or even "Use this to shut up the 'arp:
192.168.1.254 is on ed0 but got reply from 10.10.7.253 on ed1' messages that
can flood the syslog in some circumstances."

Of course, that bit would take quite some time....

Is the 7th parameter to SYSCTL_INT available in any place?  If so, you may
want to have a look at it.