Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:30:56 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@shiningsilence.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ffmpeg missing SBLive audio device

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> ffmpeg automatically picks "/dev/dsp" as my audio device when recording
> from my bktr card.  However, I have no sound in the output recording.
> I've played the result in mplayer and mpegtv and, while those programs say
> there's an audio track, there's nothing in it.  I can hear the audio when
> recording.  The bktr card is wired from sound out to audio in on my
> SoundBlaster Live! card.
>
> I'm on 5.0-R.  My dsp devices look like this:
>
> justin@big> ls /dev/ds*
> /dev/dsp0.0     /dev/dsp0.3     /dev/dspW0.0    /dev/dspW0.3    /dev/dspr0.0
> /dev/dsp0.1     /dev/dsp0.4     /dev/dspW0.1    /dev/dspW0.4    /dev/dspr0.1
> /dev/dsp0.2     /dev/dsp0.5     /dev/dspW0.2    /dev/dspW0.5
>
> Could it be that the different device layout is causing this?  I'm hoping
> there's someone else with a  similar device setup that is working and can
> fill me in.
>
> Or am I just completely missing an obvious clue?  That was my modus
> operandi last time I asked a question...

The first thing to check is your recording source in the mixer.  You can
do this with "mixer recsrc"

If that's set incorrectly, set it with "mixer '=rec' <source>", example:
"mixer '=rec' line1"

Next thing to check is the recording level, which you can check with
"mixer" and set with "mixer <device> <% of maximum volume>"  For
instance: "mixer line1 80"

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer