Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:15:33 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrey Alekseyev <uitm@zenon.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   minor annoyances

I noticed two minor yet painful things in 4.6-STABLE today.

1. For some reason the following invocation of tar is broken by now:

tar -c -z -f ../t.tgz -T ../t.lst .

test sequence:

a) mkdir t
b) cat > t.lst (type several lines - for instance, 1 2 3)
c) cd t
d) touch 1 2 3 4
e) tar -c -z -f ../t.tgz -T ../t.lst .

Notice that ../t.tgz contains not just 1 2 3 but also 4, moreover
the whole tar contents look somehow strange.  At the same time tar
taken from 4.6-RELEASE works perfectly, but I saw the version was
changed in the middle.

2. For some reason sh(1) doesn't handle things like 'command & && echo 1'
anymore. And this used to work perfectly _for years_ (literally) until now.
In fact, I myself have got a lot of shell scripts where I use something like
/usr/local/sbin/wgated.sh & && \
echo "started"
which are now all broken :)

Is it a historical bug/behaviour fixed or serious bug introduced?

I'll appreciate it if someone would clarify these obstacles.

--
Andrey Alekseyev. Zenon N.S.P.