Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:49:43 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Winmodem port ltmdm-port.tgz make install question

Hi folks

I am trying to install custom made port to use winmodems on FBSD.
I have used make depends, make, make install process to recompile
my kernel. But I have never installed a port that was not on the
cdrom. I down loaded this port from
http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/ltmdm-port.tgz using my win98
box, copied it to floppy and then copied it to my FBSD box.
I tried cd into directory where tar was at and them make install
gave error message "don't know how to make install. Stop".
Reading the handbook did not help.

Is there a commonly used technic to organize the tar files from
different ports?
Where are these manual kinds of ports suppose to go in the
directory tree?
I though the make process would open the tar file make all
the directories needed and do what every the port embedded
commands said?

What are I doing wrong?
What sequence of commands do I need to enter?

Thanks