Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:01:34 +0300
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X86 machine code enter and FreeBSD kernel

I received no reply on this question at questions mailing list, so I try
asking this here. Hope I'm not asking this in completely wrong list.

In recent discussion in OpenWatcom lists it was noticed that at least
certain addressing modes of assembler ENTER instruction causes a crash
when used in Linux. GCC circumnavigates this by not emitting ENTER
instructions in machine code. Linus's comment on the above issue can be
found on:

http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=7i86ni%24b7n%241%40palladium.transmeta.com

What's the status of the above "feature" in FreeBSD, does the kernel
support the
whole x86 instruction set without similar cut corners?

-Reko