Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:33:18 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        bakka_cog <bakka_cog@fuckmicrosoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: issue with a port.

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 03:16:18AM +0000, bakka_cog wrote:
> hello.  im not quite sure how to quantify properly this
> situation, mainly as it is quite new.  recently
> ive been looking for a suitable news client for X .
>
> ive had made several.  however, around the time
> i was going about this, mysteriously 'rplayd' appeared
> as a 'local package', started upon boot in the same section
> as apache.
>
> i do not use telnet for login sessions remote. only
> ssh.  the majority of ftp traffic regarding my machine is
> anonymous.
>
> im fairly certain that i was around when
> the daemon was installed ( i think ), so
> i assume this is part of some port which
> was installed without my knowledge.
>
> this may sound strange, however i wonder if any
> others have noted situations similar.  im quite worried about
> this.
>
> thank you.
>
> --bc

A list of the ports that you have installed might be useful, but as a
general rule, if a port installs binaries or scripts that will run at
startup it will warn you of this at the end of the install process.
Same goes for ports that install suid root binaries.  In this case,
the rplayd is a daemon that allows your system to be a sound server
for a network.  Most likely for mp3s.

Josh