Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:21:11 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Loose Source routing

<<On Tue, 2 Apr 1996 16:13:12 +0100 (BST), Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk> said:

> everything is it possible to configure the FreeBSD box to add its
> address as a return route to the IP datagram for forwarded packets,
> which I think is called loose source routing?

Well, yes and no.  You could alter the source code to add the LSRR
option when forwarding packets.  You will find, however, that many
systems out there in the Internet will not honor LSRR requests, with
one of three possible actions:

	1) Your packet is silently thrown away.

	2) Your LSRR option is ignored and a message is logged to the
	   gateway administrator.

	3) Your packet makes it to the other end, which ignores LSRR
	   options and so is unable to reply to you.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.