Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:19:58 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Include files in /usr/local/include not found

On 2002-07-13 13:50 +0000, Paul Everlund wrote:
> I got an error while making ./configure for a program. It said it
> did not find png.h, but it's there as I have png-1.2.4 installed
> on my system.

But in /usr/local/include which is not searched by default for headers
by GCC in FreeBSD.  You need to explicitly pass -I/usr/local/include
to the compiler command line.

> Got the following error:
> test.c:1: png.h: No such file or directory
>
> Did then try to compile it as this:
> cc -I/usr/local/include test.c
>
> This worked!

Obviously :)

> My question is:
> How do one fix so /usr/local/include is searched automatically?

The autoconf-generated scripts that are distributed as ./configure in
many open source programs will detect CFLAGS in the environment and
use it for ``default compiler flags''.  I am not sure if they will
automagically look in ${prefix}/include for headers (in which case
passing -I/usr/local/include would not be necessary when one runs
./configure with --prefix=/usr/local).  You can always force
./configure to pass -I/usr/local/include to all invocations of GCC
when testing though by setting CFLAGS to your environment:

	% setenv CFLAGS " -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib "
	% ./configure --prefix=/wherever

> If that can be done, the ./configure should work for the program
> I'm trying to build.

Hopefully :)
It should.