Date:      Mon, 21 May 2007 11:39:31 +0200
From:      Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-freebsd-questions@schottelius.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Outage on FreeBSD 6.1 / dell sc 1425

--1sNVjLsmu1MXqwQ/

Hello list,

I've some problems with two dell sc1425, using two u320 scsi hardisks,
freebsd 6.1, gmirror raid1 mounted at /, a dual core xeon 3.2ghz:

- the production server started to get really really slow last week
  and started to print those [0] messages to dmesg
- after I rebooted that server it seemed to work normally
- yesterday it freezed or was extremly slow:
   * no services via tcp where reachable
   * it was still reachable via icmp
   * it was *not* possible to login via console
   * it was possible to switch virtual consoles
  =20
   * after rebooting it, it hung in the fsck, which did not print any
     status messages
   * we rebooted it in single user mode, where we could see the fsck
     doing its work
   * we rebooted it then again in normal mode and after short time for
     fsck it is up and running again

I am wondering whether this is a hardware or software problem. The
system is a heavily used mailserver offering
imap(s)/pop3(s)/smtp(s)/webmail.

I am currently somehow deterred to continue using this server, so any
hint how to debug this issue are appreciated.

Sincerly

Nico

[0]: http://home.schottelius.org/~nico/unix/freebsd/dmesg-systems-hanging

--=20
Think about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
http://nico.schottelius.org/documentations/foss/the-term-foss/

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42  F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C

--1sNVjLsmu1MXqwQ/

--1sNVjLsmu1MXqwQ/--