Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:37:44 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jason Hunt <jhunt@blaz.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: / space..

--cYtjc4pxslFTELvY

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 11:32:07AM -0600, Jason Hunt wrote:

> when implementing a server, I believe I used the default setting of
> 50 MB for the / partition, and allocated most to /var and /usr.  Is
> this going to create a problem?

Over time more and more things tend to get added to / (compare the
amount of stuff on the root FS now with the 2.2 days). I'd suggest
making it say 100M and leaving yourself the room to expand.

For example, here are my root filesystem sizes on two of my machines:

/dev/da0s1a      99183    62148    29101    68%    /

/dev/ad0s2a      99183    79174    12075    87%    /

These are somewhat bloated from containing a few other
non-FreeBSD-default things, but you get the idea.

Yeah, this default should probably be changed in sysinstall..

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--cYtjc4pxslFTELvY

--cYtjc4pxslFTELvY--