Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 00:02:27 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update vmware port: testers required

At 8:17 AM -0400 6/29/00, Vladimir N. Silyaev wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 04:16:18PM +0900, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA wrote:
>
> > > New bridging code for vmnet driver have to be work at 4.0-Release.
> > > But I want some assistance to test that code.
> >
> > I'd like to help you with the test, however, could you update your
> > VMware version to 2.0.1 release (Build 570) first?
>
>Done.

Okay.  With this newer port I seem to be working ok.  I had a few
odd problems, but those may have been my fault.  For instance, I
managed to do the linux install with the wrong video card (just a
screwup on my part).  So, at the moment I can't get into X, but
the bridged network support does seem to be working right.
This  is  excellent.

I am testing this on release 4.0-2000.0625-STABLE, on hardware
which is a dual-CPU 650 MHz P3 system, 256meg of RAM.

Right now I'm testing on virtual disks, as that seemed the safest.
When I start the virtual machine, vmware warns me that I'm running
on a "remote file system", which may slow things down.  Is that
just because it's seeing a native freebsd filesystem instead of a
native linux (ext2fs) filesystem?  Should I compile ext2fs support
in my system, reformat a slice to ext2fs (using linux), mount that
under freebsd, and then create my virtual disks there?

Also, some of the comments in README.FreeBSD need a little updating.
For instance, there is no longer a need to install the separate
linuxproc.tar.gz port, since that's now in the linproc module.  It
would be particularly nice if it mentioned WHAT someone needs to do
if they don't have linproc mounted.  It's simple once you know where
to look, but it can take awhile to find the right inf.  Also, the
README.FreeBSD still says that the port only supports 'Host only'
networking.

Is there much chance that this could be improved to support
multiple guest OS's running at the same time?  (in different
vmware processes, of course).  The more OS's I can run on the
one machine, the easier life gets when testing certain changes.

Also, the emulators/rtc port seems a little odd.  It does not
seem to have the same targets as other ports, or work in quite
the same way.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute