Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      X Philius <xphilius@yahoo.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best upgrade path from 4.1 Release to 4.4 Release, via CVsup if   possible

Kent,
Well, managed to make it through 'make buildworld' without any Stops, upgrading from 4.1 Release
to 4.2 Release. Now I've got to get myself physically in front of the machine to drop into single
user and do the rest of the upgrade. I am afraid I may end up using Sysinstall to upgrade my real
server to 4.4 though. Part of what I am trying to figure out is how to minimize downtime and "face
time" with the server. I've got an odd co-lo deal, and I want to spend as little time as possible
in the closet by the router ;-) If I have to do a two stage upgrade, then I'll have to sit there
and wait while the 4.2 - 4.4 make buildworld runs. Both of my machines boot fine off of the 4.1
CD's, so I think I would run Sysinstall while booted from CD, as opposed to doing the floppy
thang. Do you know if I can run the 4.1 version of sysinstall to upgrade a machine from 4.2 to
4.4? N odd case, but I imagine lost of people end up with the same situation. Old media and a
machine that has been upgraded to some intermediary point. Thanks much for the assistance. I'll
let you know how the rest of the upgrade goes.

Jason