Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:02:21 +0200
From:      "Claudiu Attila Balogh" <claus@saguaro.ro>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <kde-request@kde.org>
Subject:   KDE3 eating up memory when opening Quick Browser->Root Directory menu.

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C1DEF5.3CD32970

Hi

I have installed KDE3 on a fresh FreeBSD 4.5 system, using the packages =
downloaded from the KDE ftp site. Everything works fine unless I open =
the Quick Browser->Root Directory menu. At that moment, top reports that =
kdeinit is very processor-intensive, and eats up slowly (progressively) =
all the memory (I have 256 Mb RAM). The KDE bar responds very late =
(slow) to mouse hovering over or mouse clicks. I could Log Out the =
session only using the desktop right-click menu. I have tried this on =
another machine at work, in a FreeBSD 4.5 virtual machine running in =
VMWare under Win 2k and it has the exact same symptoms.
Could it be that I forgot to to something, is it the way it has to work =
(like building up a tree of the root dir when the tree is browsed the =
first time), or is it an error in the packages ?

Thanks in advance,
Claudiu.

P.S. Please also reply at claus@saguaro.ro. Thank you.

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C1DEF5.3CD32970

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have installed KDE3 on a fresh =
FreeBSD 4.5=20
system, using the packages downloaded from the KDE ftp site.=20
Everything&nbsp;works fine unless I open the Quick Browser-&gt;Root =
Directory=20
menu. At that moment, top reports that kdeinit is very =
processor-intensive, and=20
eats up&nbsp;slowly (progressively)&nbsp;all the memory (I have 256 Mb =
RAM). The=20
KDE bar&nbsp;responds very late (slow) to mouse&nbsp;hovering over or =
mouse=20
clicks. I could Log Out the session only using the desktop right-click=20
menu.&nbsp;I have tried this on another machine at work, in a FreeBSD =
4.5=20
virtual machine running in VMWare under Win 2k and it has the exact same =

symptoms.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Could it be that I forgot to to =
something, is it=20
the way it has to work (like building up a tree of the root dir when the =
tree is=20
browsed the first time), or is it an error in the packages =
?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Claudiu.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>P.S. Please also reply at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:claus@saguaro.ro">claus@saguaro.ro</A>. Thank=20
you.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C1DEF5.3CD32970--