Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:35:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      youshi10@u.washington.edu
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porting a Linux application to FreeBSD

Hello,
     I was referred here by some people in the hackers@ list because I asked a porting related question and I should have asked it on this list.
     I was wondering steps people had used in the past for porting linux applications, in particular applications that need libpng (i.e. the differences between FreeBSD and Linux's libpng, if there are any). I ran configure with no arguments and with the --with-png=/usr/local/lib argument, but both sets of arguments fail saying that they require png_read_png (just a C generated autoconf test). The odd thing that I discovered too when I manually tried to compile the autoconf generated C file is that it segfaulted when I tried to execute the program (not sure if this behavior's intended or not).
     Also, the application that I'm porting uses video4linux, and I was wondering if there were any sorts of tips regarding porting this API.
     The application that I'm trying to port is tvtime (<http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/>).
TIA!
-Garrett