Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 23:21:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vinay Bannai <vinay@agni.nuko.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        black@zen.cypher.net, dg@root.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp driver full duplex packet loss problem

According to Tom Samplonius:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Ben Black wrote:
>
> > a good indication of this duplex mismatch is a sudden appearance of FCS
> > errors and Runts on the cisco interface.
>
>   When I switch full duplex on the FreeBSD server, the switch starts
> recording late collision errors on that port (a 10BT port on a Cat 1900).
> I'm not sure what this means.
>
> Tom

Late collision errors typically when the ethernet collision domain
distance limitations are violated. Typically the collision window for a
transmitting node is 512 bit times. This also is the minimum ethernet
packet size (64 bytes). This also imposes a limit on the maximum diamter
of the ethernet collision domain. Thus the furthest distance between any
two nodes in the LAN should not be more than 512 bit times. This basically
means if you (transmitting node) don't see a collision in the first 512
bit times then you basically acquired the ethernet and can be assured that
you won't see a collision. In case you see a collision after the 512 bit
times than you got yourself a late collision. For a full duplex connection
there are NO collisions and there should not be any late collisions. So if
the switch says there are late collisions that means that the switch is
basically in some sort of screwed up half-duplex mode for the port. Maybe
the NIC card thinks it is in full duplex and the switch is in half
duplex. This also means that the auto-negotiation is not working properly
between the switch and the NIC. I would presume the NIC would be at
fault. I say that because if the NIC gets any garbled response from the
switch it should automatically fall back in the half duplex mode. Or the
switch might be saying it supports full dup but does not do it. In that
case I would say it would have to be a bug in the switch.

Vinay
--
Vinay Bannai                     E-mail: vinay@agni.nuko.com
(408)-526-0280 x 275 (Work)     http://agni.nuko.com/~vinay