Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 1996 18:44:51 +0100
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Public NTP-servers?

Hello!

We want to move our computers to a central time source to remove
timedifferences and be able to set all clocks at one server only.

I have read the manpage for xntpd, which we intend to use. As I
understand it, configuration should in the clients be:
server <x.x.x.x>
and in the server:
broadcast <x.x.x.255>.

But there are, if I'm not mistaken, also public, national (or international?)
ntp-servers from where you can obtain absolute correct time, to remove
all the need for setting the clock??? Or there should at least be ... :)

My questions are:

1. Am I right?

2. If I'm right, where can I find such a public NTP-server ...

3. ... and how do I configure this, just server <w.x.y.z> in all my computers,
   or something else?

4. If my simple guesses at configuration above are wrong, could some generous
   human being please send me a configuration-example? It seems to me that it
   shouldn't be this easy, so I must have missed something :)

Thanks for your time!

Peter Olsson    pol@leissner.se