Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:34:32 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this is not working....

On Friday 11 January 2002 02:36, Tom Kersten wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I am having trouble running programs now. I have
> cvsup'd my ports tree and it seems to have the correct
> umask now (for those of you reading my previous
> threads)...but...now when I install a program I can't
> run it with any user except the root. I changed
> permissions like so:
>
> #cd /usr/bin/xxxx
> #chmod 755 ./xxxx
>
> It then appears to have a permission allowing users to
> execute it, but I still get a "command not found"

Log out and log back in.  Many shells won't immediately see
the new command.
I think you can type in "rehash" or "hash" to cause it to reread
the list of available programs instead, but don't quote me on that.
Logging out and then back in (basically, restarting the shell) always
seems to work.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services