Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:57:42 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI problem (parity error)

[ please CC me since I am not currently subscribed to questions ]

I have installed a new HP SureStore 40 internal DAT. It is an LVD SCSI
device and so I bought an internal LVD cable with a terminator on one
side.
It is connected to the LVD connector of an Adaptec 29160 card. The
other (SE) internal connector is free, but I usually have something
connected externally on the LVD external connector.
Even though the DAT SCSI ID (3) is mapped as a high speed (160 MB/s)
device, the card BIOS sets it at 40 MB/s. If I connect an external
SCSI CD-R the max speed drops to 20 MB/s, but this is OK, since it is
clearly explained in the card specs.
But even with no external devices connected I don't get more than 40
MB/s.
Note: this is what the BIOS reports on probing the devices at startup.
I haven't measured the actual speed.

Without too much knowledge about this I am assuming that this has
something to do with the following kernel messages:

messages from the kernel log:

> (probe0:ahc0:0:3:1): parity error detected in Data-in phase.
SEQADDR(0x75) SCSIRATE(0x95)
> (probe0:ahc0:0:3:6): parity error detected in Data-in phase.
SEQADDR(0x77) SCSIRATE(0x95)
> (probe0:ahc0:0:3:7): parity error detected in Data-in phase.
SEQADDR(0x75) SCSIRATE(0x95)

Any ideas about where to look further? Is the cable the problem?
Or maybe I should try to work with some swithces in the DAT (there are
some switch comfigurations for different OSes, including different
unices, and I just left factory defults). Anyone using this drive with
FreeBSD?

System is a Pentium III, 600 MHz, 768 RAM, Adaptec 29160
OS is FreeBSD 4.3 (RELENG_4_3)

Thanks in advance,

Fernan