Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 02:30:50 +0100
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tar just doesn't want to be KILLed

>> 1. there's no way to get rid of an instance of tar (that's probably
>>    waiting for some IO to complete?
>> 2. there's no way to umount a mount point held by such a process?
>
> No and no. See the KILL signal, and the -f option to umount.

Sorry, I should have provided more information, but thought it too
obvious.

slash:~# killall -KILL tar
slash:~# ps waux | grep tar
root     8975  0.0  0.1   548    0  p0- DE    4:03AM   2:14.08 tar cvfl /mnt/dump/root.tar /
slash:~# umount -f /mnt/dump
umount: unmount of /mnt/dump failed: Device busy

[btw, /mnt/dump is a dead NFS mount and tar is in the 'sbwait' state]

--
 The more aggressively you search for the most profound experience
 of your life, the more rigid, narrowing, dispiriting and routine