Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:19:21 +0100
From:      "ROGIER MULHUIJZEN" <MULHUIJZEN@PZH.NL>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.4-RELEASE and ThinkPad 770Z with 256MB memory

>I attempted to install 3.4 and it hangs after displaying "Probing PnP
>devices...". I was able to install RedHat Linux 6.1 but it only
>recognize 64MB memory instead of 256(I fixed this by adding
>append="mem=255M" to lilo.conf).

>Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Did you use the visual config to disable any devices, or did you boot
straight away?

If you didn't, try disabling as many devices as you think possible. If
you did, could you try booting with the emergency repair disk and doing
a dmesg (if that is possible, I think it is) from the shell?

Also, on my Toshiba Tecra 8000 flashing the BIOS had a significant
influence on the probing messages for PCI. I know PCI isn't exactly PnP,
but you might as well give it a go. =)

           DocWilco