Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 20:37:07 -0500
From:      "Tim Stinnett" <trinity@ioa.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   chat

Hello.

I have recently installed FreeBSD 3.0 on my computer.  I am trying to
connect to the internet through a local ISP.  I have a PnP modem and have
modified the source using a FAQ found on the FreeBSD web server and the
modem works correctly.  I have printed the pages from the hand book for
setting up a ppp connection and have followed it to the letter, as far as I
can tell.  When I type ppp from the shell I get ppp ON foo:.  I can then
type term and using ATDT dial into my ISP.  After connecting it goes into
packet mode and I can run ping in the background and hit my ISP.  If I try
to use the command ppp -auto provider I get an error saying Chat failed.  I
never hear the modem dial.  I have tried to change the dial string but can
not find anything that will work.  Do you have any suggestions that I might
try.  Thanks,

Tim Stinnett
Flatpickin'   Just DU IT!