Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:44:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uptime report

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Warner Losh wrote:

> However, I've noticed that when I killed X I still had 33M in swap
> space in use.  The only things on the machine were the tcsh process
> and my ps (and a couple inits and xdm daemons).  I have 32M of
> physical memory, so it smells like a swap leak of some kind.

Very easy to reproduce, run netscape for a couple of days.  It seems  that
when it allocates memory for all those .gif and .jpg icons and pictures,
the memory becomes fragmented and is never recovered fully.

After a while you run out of swap space.

Happens on an SGI running IRIX 5.3 as well as under FreeBSD 2.1.0-stable

Solution, quit X every so often, all your memory comes back.

One could then deduce that the leak is somewhere in X11R6.

Andrew Webster  - andrew@pubnix.net - http://www.pubnix.net
PubNIX Montreal - Connected to the world - Branche au monde
 514-990-5911   - P.O. Box 147, Cote St-Luc, Quebec, H4V 2Y3