Date:      13 Dec 2001 11:57:44 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

> someone create FS images for you to test with, all without
> looking at a line of code that would render you "contaminated".

I wonder about that after having seen it said several times.

I'm quite sure (without explict evidence) that if this was taken to
court that an accused infringer would be determined to be contaminated
by any open source code, upon the presumption that he had looked at the
code, there being no practical means to discover the truth and the ease
of hiding it.

It might sound like a violation of the "presumption of innocence"
theory, but I think it goes on in civil law all the time, which aims
more at maximizing justice, rather than minimizing injustice.

Can anyone reference any actual law on "contamination" by code which
is just available to the infringer, rather than being known to be in his
hands?