Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 18:36:44 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        horikawa@jp.freebsd.org
Cc:        nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk, ru-freebsd-doc@freebsd.ru, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [RU-DOC] FDP Directory Reorganization

On Sun, May 16, 1999 at 06:16:07PM +0900, horikawa@jp.freebsd.org wrote:
> So, if we type `LANG=ja_JP.SJIS jman ls' (*1):

What you describe is a hack based on indirect assumtions and
autoconversions in ja-* programs family. All indirect assumptions must be
direct.

> If we must have Japanese manpages in both man/ja_JP.EUC and
> man/ja_JP.SJIS instead of single directory man/ja, we will have both
> man/ja_JP.EUC/ls.1.gz and man/ja_JP.SJIS/ls.1.gz.  It doubles disk
> usage to support both locales.  I know that some commercial OS have

I not suggest to have two directories, you can still have one directory
but with suffix which indicate encoding of stored files instead of
indirect assumtion for them. Autoconversion programs must be fixed to
handle such simple case. In current situation there is no way to determine
encoding of stored files from outside since encoding tag not presend in
the file bodies, so EUC encoding must be hardcoded into all programs.
What happens if we switch to UTF-8?

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://nagual.pp.ru/~ache/