Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:54:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Matt Schlosser <mschlosser@eschelon.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fire-wire/fiber/SCSI?

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Matt Schlosser wrote:

> I have to have either multiple servers or one great beast interface with a
> NetApp (muloti-terrabyte storage).  The project calls for moving
> multi-gigabyte files at the highest possible transfer rates with 6 or so
> connections constantly requesting and storing these files.

I have read your message a few times and I am still not clear at what you
are trying to do. How about describing the system or at least the data
flow. Will all machines be constantly writing/reading/both?

> My question is, would it be better to interface the server and netapp with
> fiber and gigabit ethernet so I can connect multiple servers or would SCSI
> and one super-fast server be better,

Do you already have the NetApp?
From your post it seems as if you don't have it and you are still trying
to decide if to use that or to have SCSI disks on the server
directly. Could you specify a bit on this. What do you have so far?
What is your budget? Will the data be super big files or lots of small
files?

Give us more details.