Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 01:38:42 -0400
From:      "Brett G. Castleberry" <bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
To:        "Pete Vanderburgh" <peterv@vma.verio.net>
Cc:        <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Diary - how to guides

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BE8C60.DAA75120

    Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply.  By "on top of Unix" I mean =
that I believe that the computer that processes data for all the local =
libraries using the Data Research Associates library automation system =
(our county library, the state library here in Tallahassee, and a number =
of others) runs Unix.  I could be wrong, but when I mentioned this in an =
"Intro to Unix" class I took a few weeks ago, the instructor nodded =
sagely, as though I had divined the truth.  I drive a bookmobile to =
rural stops, and I do my circulation functions using an off-line =
circulation program on a laptop equipped with a barcode reading wand.  =
Back at the main library, I upload the files using Kermit, and when I =
started reading about Unix I recognized some commands that I use, such =
as "control-right bracket" to escape a process and get to a prompt.  =
When I send the files, I am told that they are going to a Vax computer.  =
 Do you all see how clueless, what a reeking newbie, I am?  I could be =
wrong, but that's the impression I got, that our menu-driven automation =
program is overlaid onto a basically Unix system.
    Pete, were you a LS major?  From your signature I take it that you =
are associated with an ISP now.  I've gone back and forth about whether =
to change course from reference work to an IT emphasis, but I think I'm =
a bit long in the tooth (I'm 45) for that.  Anyway, there are VAST =
quantities of information that will never be digitized, that will =
continue to be available
only on paper.   Somebody's got to be able to find it.  Ink gets in your =
blood.  Actually, that could account for the appeal that command-line =
FreeBSD has for me - virtual ink!=20

Brett Castleberry
bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
  ----- Original Message -----=20