Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:18:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de (Andre Albsmeier)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to send data between two network cards directly?

> > > together via 10Base2. I would like to send data from one
> > > machine two the other without doing IP or any other
> > > protocol.
> OK, maybe I desribed it in a wrong way. I would like to use
> the most basic protocol that is available. No overhead,
> no error correction, no nothing...
> I have got two wireless-lan-like developer boxes. They got each an UTP
> port and transmit data via a direct spread spectrum frequency hopping
> protocol. We have two compare their performance, errors and reliabilty
> with other, for example RS232 or S0 bus based, boxes. They run the ethernet
> protocol (ok, this is the lowest level protocol, I have to use) and I would
> like to transmit data without running TCP,UDP or something else.

then for your purposes, UDP or raw ethernet packets are absolutely
equivalent.

if you really want to see things in detail you might try to disable UDP
checksums (i think this is a socket-level option, isn't it ?)
or even pass up bad frames from the ethernet driver (either
use bpf, or play with the ethernet driver)

	cheers
	luigi