Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:13:32 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        atrn@zeta.org.au
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the advantages of ELF kernels?

Add a Reply-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org header.  ;^)

> I'm another who had an Amiga. Don't know about the rest of you but in
> 1986 (or whenever it was) I couldn't afford a Sun workstation at home
> and the Amiga was about the closest thing to a Unix box I could afford.
> Oh, and it could do graphics & sound better than anything else.

I bought an Atari ST instead; I mostly wanted SOMETHING with a 68K
processor and a graphics screen.  Plus, the early Amiga keyboards were
horrid.  It wasn't long before I had Minix running on my ST, which
gave me an almost-workstation, with a lot of bang for the buck in
those years.

> I think it's ironic that ten or more years ago we'd be using Unix at
> work and at home people had lots of clunky machines running CP/M or
> MS-DOS or OS/9 or TRS/DOS or whatever. The Amiga and some other systems
> were almost okay. Now it's reversed for many people, they have (full
> source) Unix systems at home and have to use these clunky PCs at work.
> (I'm lucky enough to work on Unix systems 99% of the time).

I have Win95 on a laptop at work; I use it exclusively to run NetXRay.
I have two desktop machines, a SPARCstation 5 and a PII 266 running
FreeBSD.  I still prefer the SPARCstation because it has a better
keyboard, but prefer FreeBSD to Slowlaris for everything else.  Plus,
the FreeBSD machine is a LOT faster than the SPARC 5.  ;^)