Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 07:56:00 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Australias CVSup server?

In article <199803260039.LAA25420@cain.gsoft.com.au>,
Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to cvsup from cvsup.au.freebsd.org but I keep gett access denied
> messages :(
> Any idea why?
> The US server works OK..

For questions like this, your best bet is to contact the maintainer
of the mirror.  They are listed in the FreeBSD Handbook in section
23.4 (currently) "CVSup Sites".  The maintainer for the Australian
mirror is ... (drum roll) ... <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>.

If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is due to heavy loads because
of the recent release of 2.2.6.

Another possibility is that the site upgraded to CVSup 15.3 without
noticing that the revamped access control mechanism isn't _quite_
fully backward compatible.  In particular, if there exists a
"cvsupd.access" file, the default rule is now to deny access.  This is
compatible for what I guessed was the most common setup ("-C 0"), but
it is incompatible for some other cases.  I didn't document this well
enough in the Announce file, though it is documented in the manual
page.

I will contact the maintainer of the site just to make sure he knows
about this.

John