Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:11:06 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Douglas Egan <degan@calcon.net>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump/restore from Linux to FreeBSD machine

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 08:25:43AM -0600, Douglas Egan wrote:
> Since you are going from one machine to another, and one filesystem to
> another, can't you just use tar via nfs.
>
> >From 'man tar'
>
>      To move file hierarchies, use a command line like this:
>
>      tar -cf - -C srcdir . | tar xpf - -C destdir

That would probably have worked too... the reason I used dump is just that
various things I've read advised against tar for this kind of thing,
because it doesn't handle sparse files, oddball permissions, device nodes,
etc. too well.  There probably aren't any of these on the disk in question,
but I didn't want to grovel through the whole 50+GB of it to find out, then
have to deal with any special cases that came up :-(

Cheers,

	Scott