Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:31:05 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Andrew Batson <abatson@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question, is there any way or program that will let youclone/image a FreeBSD system

Andrew Batson wrote:

>Hello,
>
>	I have spend a few hours trying to find way to create a clone/image
>of a currently working FreeBSD version 5.3 system. I would like to be able
>to clone/image the system to a secondary hard disk drive attached the PC. I
>have used Symantec's Ghost many times for Windows Systems and know that it
>could do the job but only in a sector by sector operation. This will create
>huge images files.
>
>	Is there any way to do? I have read about with g4u, dd, dump/restore
>but they do not seems to be able to do create the clone/image on a secondary
>attached hard disk drive.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>Andrew

I'm not sure ... have you looked at /ports/sysutils/dolly?

[513] Sat 26.Feb.2005 16:28:32
 [kadmin@archangel][/usr/ports]
# make search key="clone" | grep -A 5 -B 2 disk
Port:   dolly-0.57
Info:   A program to clone harddisks/partitions over a fast switched network
Maint:  lioux@FreeBSD.org
B-deps:
R-deps:
WWW:    http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/CoPs/patagonia/dolly.html

Port:   dolly+-0.93
Info:   Improved version of dolly harddisk/partition network clone utility
Maint:  lioux@FreeBSD.org
B-deps:
R-deps:
WWW:    http://corvus.kek.jp/~manabe/pcf/dolly/

If you label, fdisk and slice the 2nd disk identically to the first, I'd
think
dd would be easy, a la `dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/dev/ad1s1` and so on.

I've done something similar to what you describe by setting up the
new disk via sysinstall and piping my partitions through tar, but I
don't recall it being an immensely satisfying experience.

Kevin Kinsey