Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:26:08 -0700
From:      dthorn@aa.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Support?

I have been bouncing around this server for thirty minutes trying to find
information about a particular error message. I tried searching the
archives. However, my results are just references to documents without
telling me where to look for the body of the messages.

Since I am sending a note, here is what is going on.

I wanted to install FreeBSD. I read everything in the handbook and the
install guide. However, there is an install option that is overlooked. I
want to ftp any of the files I need to install the OS. I cannot use the ftp
option that comes on boot.flp. I have the /bin with bin.aa, bin.ab, etc. I
also have the /doc, /dict and /manpages directories.

I have tried installing from a dos partition, but the distributions are not
being copied. It tries and retries, but fails. This is on hard drive 1 at
less than 500 MB.

I have tried installing from floppies, but it will not mount the floppy
drive, even though I am reading boot.flp from the same drive. I used a
freshly formated floppy an rawrite.exe to copy the image root.flp.

As mentioned above, I tried the ftp option, but it is not recognizing the
modem, I guess.

By the way how do I get the boot manager off my drive now. It loaded just fine.

Sorry to dump on you, but if someone had left instructions on which files to
download to install an average size installation on to a dos partition, I
may not have spent the last two days messing around with this.

   | Doug Thornhill   |
   | Network_Presence |
   | Maximizing Your Throughput and Your Hitcount |
   | (206) 547-9638   |
   | (206) 633-2497 ; |