Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:34:49 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE vs. GNOME || GNOME vs. KDE

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 11:55:52AM -0400, MET wrote:
> So what's the big difference?  How would one go about choosing which to
> run?
>
> - Matthew

Try them both and see which one you like best, is probably the best
advice.  Some might find KDE a bit too Windows-like, but it does come with
a pretty reasonable set of applications and utilities, and doesn't intrude
too much -- just the one bar at the bottom of the screen, the way I have it
set up.  The last time I used Gnome was a couple of years ago on a RedHat 6
box; it crashed on me almost daily so I went back to WindowMaker and
haven't used it since... I imagine it provides pretty much the same
functionality as KDE though.

KDE & Gnome are both pretty heavyweight -- I'll hazard a guess and say that
anything much less than a 700MHz machine with 256MB of RAM and a decent
graphics adapter won't really be up to the task of running them.

And don't forget that you can run Gnome or KDE apps without actually using
either of them as your window manager.  As long as the necessary libraries
are installed most of the apps will run just fine.

HTH,

	Scott