Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 22:21:21 -0700
From:      Tony <tony@rtd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question on ports/packages

If I install a FreeBSD 'package', in general, what control do I have over where I can
install it ?

I want to install about 20 pieces of software, most of which have FreeBSD packages but I
really want them to install into /usr/local{bin/etc/lib/X11/man}.

I was under the impression that most FreeBSD packages installed into /usr and I had little
control over this, and (from reading the Ports FAQ) if I want to control the destination
of a 'make install' I should get the source in the form of the FreeBSD 'port'.

Is this basically correct ?

thanks

tony